Every day travellers and locals mix and mingle in our cafe and community working space Werkplaats. Under the guise of an experiment, we asked two of them some questions. How much can two people who have never met tell, just by looking at the other?
Almog about Rachid
- Childhood dream job: I think he had plans to become a DJ.
- Profession: He probably made his dreams come true. Nowadays he’s working as a producer. I base this on his fashion choices in combination with the laptop.
- Hobby: Traveling the world. Especially European cities. I think London is one of his favorites.
- Favourite colour: Looking at his clothes, I think he likes dark colours. With that being said; blue and black.
- Favourite music: Electronic music.
- Dislikes: Watch out for this combination, but he hates pickles and rainy days
- Likes: He likes good food. Going to the best places in Amsterdam for dinner and knows a lot about food trucks. Besides all the good food he likes festivals. And exploring new landscapes.
- What brings him to Volkshotel: He’s currently working on a new music production. Perhaps mixing a new DJ set or something like that?
Rachid about Almog
- Childhood dream job: Pastry chef. I think she wanted to bake stuff like sweet cupcakes and cakes when she was little.
- Profession: Some kind of scientist, maybe a mathematician. She looks very smart and I think she finished a hard study.
- Hobby: Reading.
- Favourite colour: Pink
- Favourite music artist: Anything indie rock.
- Dislikes: Too much sun. And people who can’t stand cats.
- Likes: The colour pink, definitely. And watching Netflix with her boyfriend under a warm blanket.
- What brings her to Volkshotel: She’s an expat and she comes here to work, because she likes to have people around her. She likes the fact that it’s not particularly Dutch nor foreign here.
The real Rachid
Rachid has worked in the music business for over 20 years, as a DJ/ producer. You could spot him in Amsterdam’s legendary clubs like Roxy and Sinners in Heaven. He has one more passion though: cooking. That’s why he’s making a career-switch: Rachid is planning to open his own business soon. A restaurant, cocktail bar and club combined. Much like Canvas, but smaller and focussed on afro-latin music. His favorite artist is DJ Black Coffee and funnily enough that’s also a mix of his favourite colour and what makes him happy (a good cup of coffee). He dislikes people who judge other people based on their skin colour. He himself is of Moroccan descent and has come across way too many judgmental in his life, he explains. This is the first time Rachid is working in Werkplaats, he is instantly attracted to the great mix of people here. We’ve got a feeling we’ll be seeing more of Rachid in this building.
The real Almog
Around the age of 10, Almog knew for sure that at some point she would travel around the world. Born and raised in Israel, this young kid had big plans. Being a businesswoman was her goal in life. Not sure in which sector, but import and export was her cup of tea. Amsterdam was the place she fell in love with. Not only the city itself, but also the people. It was her curiosity that made her obsessed with traveling. Amsterdam, Berlin, London and New York made it in to her top 4. Cycling, hanging out in Amsterdam, going to techno parties are a few things Almog likes to do in her spare time. Please don’t come to her if you’re judgemental, or not straightforward. Two things she really dislike. To end on a positive note; she’s still planning to become that business woman she dreamed of when she was little. She’s studying Finance to get there. We’re convinced she’ll make her childhood dream come true.